Converting to the Virtual Classroom
Converting to the Virtual Classroom Program Overview
The world has been transformed by the COVID-19 crisis; however, one thing is certain, there needs to be a continued commitment to learning and development as a driver of talent management and organizational performance.
What has vastly changed and is shaping the “new normal” is the way we deliver learning initiatives. Through necessity, organizations are transitioning to the virtual environment. Many organizations have begun to realize that designing and delivering in the virtual classroom has significant differences from the traditional, face to face, environment.
In this dynamic program, you will practice key concepts on how to convert content from a traditional face-to-face format, to a motivating, interactive and engaging virtual environment. The program is delivered in six online sessions and presents a variety of interactive techniques and instructional design activities that model best practices in the virtual classroom.
You will assess your present traditional classroom programs and determine what is required to transition them to engaging virtual programs, that meets both their instructional intent and desired outcomes. Through a series of hands-on applications, you will experience well-designed and effective virtual learning that can be adapted for the technical platform and capabilities you are using.
Click on a Date Below to Register
Public Program Schedule:Please contact FKA to have us deliver a customized or off-the-shelf program at your location or online, or take advantage of our One-on-One Coached Learning Services. Coached Learning is available on any topic area covered in our programs. Call us at 1-800-FKA-5585.
We have moved our face-to-face programs to an online format due to physical distancing constraints. We will resume our classroom facilitation when it is possible to do so safely.
Online - Adobe Connect - Starts: January 6, 2021 - click to see Live Session Schedule
Who Should Attend the Converting to the Virtual Classroom Program?
- Experienced instructional designers and course developers who have designed for the traditional face-to-face environment and are now responsible for converting these programs to the virtual environment.
- Subject matter experts (SMEs) who have designed or assisted in the design of learning initiatives for traditional classroom-based and small group environments (On-the-Job, Lunch and Learn) and need to convert this content to the virtual environment.
- Facilitators and instructors tasked with converting content that they have been delivering in the physical classroom to the virtual environment.
- Individuals responsible for updating or modifying existing custom or off-the-shelf courses.
*Participants of this program have existing content and learning material that has been delivered in the traditional classroom.
- Participate in a facilitated virtual classroom program that models best practices for learner motivation and engagement.
- Experience first-hand, the richness and variety of platform capabilities as you move your face-to-face program to the virtual classroom.
- Use your own traditional classroom content and convert that material to the virtual environment.
- Receive constructive feedback from FKA’s certified CTT+ Virtual Classroom Trainers, skilled at converting learning material to the virtual environment.
- Use FKA’s patented Instructional Quality Assessment Process to gauge the effectiveness of your traditional classroom program and your newly converted virtual program.
- Receive a comprehensive online or hard-copy manual that effectively supports converting to the virtual classroom.
- Identify a workflow process to convert a traditional classroom program to the virtual classroom.
- Identify criteria to assess instructional design of a current face-to-face program for conversion.
- Apply FKA’s Instructional Quality Assessment Process to an existing face-to face program.
- Identify content to be removed, replaced, or converted to the virtual environment.
- Describe the typical platform capabilities of a virtual classroom environment.
- Select an appropriate variety of virtual classroom capabilities to keep learners engaged in online activities.
- Identify special considerations of Adult Learning Principles as they apply in the virtual classroom.
- Package face-to-face content for the virtual environment by applying the Systematic Learning Process.
- Modify lesson objectives to ensure instructional intent is achieved in the virtual classroom.
- Choose and adapt presentation and application methods to the virtual sessions.
- Determine the number of sessions required to accomplish the instructional intent, including length of each virtual session.
- Develop instructor notes for a virtual lesson.
- Establish and maintain a positive learning environment for the virtual classroom.
- Describe and apply how to capture and maintain learner interest during live-facilitated virtual sessions.
- Design effective visuals to capture interest and motivation.
- Use powerful examples to ensure need and relevance for the virtual learner.
- Apply 5 key factors used in the virtual classroom to ensure retention of information.
- Design test for understanding questions that align with objectives modified for the virtual classroom.
- Develop questioning skills to promote participation and learning.
- Assess the new virtual classroom program using FKA’s Instructional Quality Assessment Process.
- Live Session 1- Getting Started
- Welcome and Introduction
- E-Learning: Virtual Classroom and the Virtual Environment
- Workflow Conversion Process
- Platform Capabilities-Technical Tour
- Focus on the Learner
- Instructional Quality Assessment Process (IQAP)
- Assignment 1: Applying IQAP to an Existing Program
- Live Session 2- Beginning Conversion Process
- Debrief Assignment 1
- Content Analysis: Remove, Replace, Convert
- Modifying Lesson Objective
- Special Considerations When Converting
- Packaging and Chunking Content
- Assignment 2: Packaging and Chunking Content to an Existing Program
- Live Session 3- Virtual Sessions and Timing
- Debrief Assignment 2
- Adapting VIVE (Variety, Interaction, Visuals, Examples) formula to the Virtual Classroom
- Adapting Presentation and Application Methods
- Selecting a Variety of Virtual Classroom Capabilities
- Polls, Breakout Rooms, Application Sharing, Co-Browsing, White boards, Text tools
- Determining Length and Number of Required Sessions
- Decision Factors for Participant Numbers
- Live-Facilitated (Synchronous) and Self-Directed (Asynchronous) Strategies
- Assignment 3: Determine Length and Number of Sessions
- Optional Assignment 3a): Prepare a 7-10 Practice Presentation
Optional Live Session 3a)-Practice Lesson and Feedback of a 7-10-Minute Presentation
- Practice a 7-10-Minute Presentation
- What a facilitator Experiences with Your Lesson Design
- Focus: Timing, Motivation, Engagement, Participation and Platform Capability
- Modify Lesson Based on Feedback and Recording
Live Session 4-Nuturing the Learning Environment
- Debrief Assignment 3
- Barriers to e-Learning
- Establishing a Nurturing Learning Environment
- Lesson Plans, Instructor Notes, and Monitoring Participation Tools
- Creating Effective Visuals: Capturing Interest and Motivation in the Virtual Environment
- Assignment 4: Review Guidelines for Visuals
- Live Session 5-Questions for Engagement and Understanding
- Debrief Assignment 4
- Ensuring Retention of Information
- Why Ask questions
- Using Technology: Add Interactivity and Engagement
- Question Logistics: Asking and Receiving Answers
- Types of Questions
- Test for Understanding
- Question Levels
- Aligning Objectives and Test for Understanding
- Assignment 5: Review of Converted Lesson: Types of Questions, Question Levels, Alignment of Objectives with Test for Understanding.
- Live Session 6-Best Practices for Converting to the Virtual Classroom
- Debrief Assignment 5
- Ground Rules for Interactivity
- Importance of a Producer
- Instructional Quality Assessment Process: Assessing the New Virtual Classroom Program
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned
- What’s Next and Wrap-up.
- Online – $2,499 – plus applicable taxes